The firm was established by Frederick Cuff in 1897 as a wheelwright, then expanded into building and repairing carts, maintenance work for local estates, and coffin making.
His two sons, Frank & Arthur, joined in 1908 until retirement in 1966. During this time electricity came to the village in 1942 and machinery enabled the business to concentrate on joinery.
In 1966 Arthur's son Nigel took over and moved the business more towards joinery including the design and manufacture of kitchens and furniture.
Nigel's son David joined the business in 1985, taking it over in 2000 expanding the workforce and extending the workshop.
The company has been located on the same site in Alweston, Sherborne and has evolved over 4 generations of the Cuff family into the company of today.